Sprinkle some shabby love

Everyone knows that…

Sprinkles make everything nicer!

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet

We all love to bake in our household and cupcakes and muffins are our quick ‘go to’ recipes.

And for that reason, we always have a big supply of sprinkles.

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet 1

Ordinarily, when I find spice racks while out thrifting, I give them a make-over and convert them to craft storage units.

But this time I had another plan in mind… we needed a cabinet for our sprinkle collection.

And I found the perfect old spice rack for this project for just a few dollars at a local thrift shop.

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet 2

For this project I used Annie Sloan Pure White Chalk Paint, as it’s the perfect paint for that distressed, shabby look we all love.

Chalk paint adheres to almost any surface and there’s no need to sand or prime before painting, but I did do a little clean up of my cabinet before I started.

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet 3

It was quite dirty and slightly greasy, so I washed it sown with a 50/50 solution of warm water and white vinegar to remove the grime and then left it out in the sun to dry thoroughly.

Usually I remove all hardware and dissemble doors and drawers etc. before painting, but for this project I just painted straight over the hardware. That’s one of the benefits of chalk paint…. it just goes on straight over metal, plastic, wood etc.

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet 4

The cabinet was looking pretty good in shabby white, but I wanted to add a little something extra…

A sheet of pretty Tilda paper from the Corner Shop Collection was perfect for the background of the shelves and for lining the drawers.

Tip: I used double sided tape to stick the paper into the cabinet. That way, if I change my mind or colour scheme later on I can easily remove it.

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet 5

The glass spice jars that came with the cabinet were really quite cute… and after a thorough washing are perfect for holding our sprinkle collection.

The plastic lids were already white, but some were slightly stained and yellowing from the previous spices they held. They also received a couple of coats of white Annie Sloan paint to freshen then up.

Shabby Art Boutique - Sprinkles Storage Cabinet 6

We are loving our new Sprinkles Cabinet…

And it’s going to look fabulous in our kitchen make-over that is almost finished.

I’m sharing the Sprinkle Cabinet with these friends this week:

The Scoop, Project Inspired , French Country CottageSundays at Home,

I’d be delighted if you’d like to connect with me at the following places. . .

google plus rose smoke

or if you’d like my posts delivered directly to your Inbox

Subscribe to Shabby Art Boutique by Email

There was no endorsement, payment or compensation for this post.

Comments

1. Absolutely adorable! I need one of these!!! Going to go hunting for the perfect little cabinet when I get back to America! Also, you have such a large collection of sprinkles – delish!

• Kerryanne says:

Thank you Madaline. Have to admit, I’m bit of a big kid when it comes to sprinkles…. especially on chocolate cake.
      Hope you find the perfect cabinet for your own Sprinkles Cabinet 🙂

2. What a great find, Kerryanne,. You two were meant to be together. It has come up a treat. You truly are the up-cycling queen. xo

3. Thanks for the inspiration, sometimes all we need is a little push to get those sparkling eyes and the right mood to create something gorgeous.

4. Fabulous make-over Kerryanne. The cabinet looks beautiful and all those pretty colours of sprinkles look great.
    I would never have a collection like this as I don’t like sprinkles (shock, horror) but I would love something along these lines for my brads & eyelets.
    Toni xx

• Kerryanne says:

(shock, horror & gasp) Toni, I can’t believe you don’t like sprinkles… you must be sweet enough honey!!
      Would look great for your brads and eyelets though.
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

5. Suzanne Holland says:

Lovely job Kerryanne, I have a little wooden spice rack that I don’t use for my spices anymore.. You have given me a wonderful idea of how to repurpose it., Thank -you

• Kerryanne says:

Thanks Suzanne. I’m glad you have been inspired. I hope you enjoy this project.
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

6. that is the sweetest cabinet! the sprinkles are so cute, too! i know your new kitchen will be so adorable:)

• Kerryanne says:

Aww.. thank you Lynn. I’m loving having a big project to work on again, but kitchens are a difficult DIY with feeding a family and trying to paint in there at the same time. It will all be worth it though when I’ve weaved some shabbilicious magic 🙂
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

7. Good Morning Kerryanne,
    This is just too sweet!!! I love that you painted it with the chalk paint. Just a sweet little cabinet for your sprinkles. Life is better with sprinkles.
    Kris

• Kerryanne says:

Life is definitely better with sprinkles Kris 😉
      Thanks for stopping by sweetie.
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

8. bettyann says:

great job…I love annie sloan paint…used it on an ugly jewelry box for my niece….love seeing your sprinkles cabinet…maybe I’ll find one for my sprinkles…they are hidden away.

• Kerryanne says:

Yes… definitely get those sprinkles out on show Bettyann. This is such an easy and fun project too.
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

9. What a great idea! Your cabinet is adorable! Very pretty with all those pastel colored sprinkles.
    LuAnn 😉

10. It looks beautiful and love the idea of having a spice cabinet for sprinkles! I too have lots of sprinkles, they are just so fun.
    Hugs, Lynnie

• Kerryanne says:

Lynnie, I think having a specialised cabinet for my sprinkles will work better than having all those little jars floating around in my baking cupboard… plus it looks so pretty. The added bonus was those little drawers in the bottom of the cabinet. I put my icing nozzles in there.
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

11. This project turned out so sweet, Kerryanne. I love all of the pink, blue, and white you chose for the sprinkles, too. 🙂 Just adorable.

xoxo laurie

• Kerryanne says:

Thanks Laurie… I’m really happy with my new little cabinet for the kitchen. You must have known I’d love the shabby coloured sprinkles 😉
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

12. I LOVE IT! It is just so beautifully shabby chic! I have a tiny kitchen but the girls and I bake a lot. We must have one of these in our kitchen! Thank you for the inspiration, Kerryanne!

• Kerryanne says:

Your little girls will love it Victoria. My big girl loves it, so it will be perfect for your little kitchen helpers… and believe me, I think my kitchen is smaller than yours, but if you have the perfect sized shelf like I did, it will make your kitchen ‘sprinklicious’!
      Hugs ~ Kerryanne

13. This is so sweet, Kerryanne. I love the pretty colors of the sprinkles on display. What a cute idea!

14. What a fun project and it turned out so cute! And such a pretty combination of color and shabby white! I hope we get to see the completed kitchen makeover.

• Kerryanne says:

Thanks Tamara. You will definitely get to see the kitchen reveal… it’s nearly finished! 🙂

15. What a fantastic idea! You brilliantly transformed the cabinet and it looks extra fun with all he festive sprinkles! 🙂
    Susan